HELP!!! I THINK I WILL FAIL IN SCHOOL!



While In school, I believed one lie – that I wasn’t good enough to be a bright student. To crown it all, while my new friend and I were conversing on our first day at school, our conversation was cut short by a statement made from a 200 level student “Ah! you are a mass comm student, mass comm is not simple o! Your lectures are wicked and you people don’t use to have first class”. I really didn’t know what a first class was at that time, but I knew it had something to do with a student being at the top. Fear gripped me, then my fears inspired a prayer – “God, let me just pass and go”. God showed me I could be more than the prayer.
I hate failing and I’m certain everyone does. Some people have just given up on themselves or have allowed their environment/people define them. Regardless of which position you find yourself, I will like to tell you to take off all preconceived notions (those thoughts in your mind that makes you feel like you are not good enough) as we journey on 7 steps to help you grow; at least, grow above the ‘norm’.

1.  Be intentional
Your effort counts. It does. People who came out top were intentional. They read consistently not few days to tests or exams. They went the extra-mile in order to get the grades they got. Some of them would say “I just use to listen in class”, I’m laughing at you if you still believe the statement. I tell you, they make more studios investments, they explain better, cite examples to back up their explanation, draw if possible and meet senior course mates for ideas. Sometimes, they call their mum, dad, brother, sister or any relative that knows better. They don’t just leave it to chance and so you can’t afford to leave your future to chance. You have to be intentional!

2.  Build an environment that motivates you
One of the writings that scared me the most was my project. That thing was not just sweet to me. I prayed to my Daddy; I told my Daddy how I felt before I left home for 400 level. From the day I resumed school, he began to order my steps to someone who I once wished I was close to. She motivated me not just in my project but also in my academics and my spiritual life. I gave up less, I believed more. I went to the library more often. The students in the library were consistent faces with consistent sit positions and all of these faces (known for academic excellence) motivated me to be serious with my project and academics. During tests or exams, I would outline topics and then read from the simplest to the toughest topic (sometimes I didn’t finish up but I covered most) and I constantly placed my worries to God in prayer.
You might need to go closer to a lecture or a senior course mate. You might need to politely change your friends, you might need to politely stay away from people who only see the negative part of you, you might need to read more often in the library, hostel, class and so on. It’s hard but worth it. Build your motivating atmosphere!

3.  Do you!
Knowing what works best for you is key. While in 200 level, my friend told me that she wakes up from 1: am to 5: am to read. I on the other hand liked to read during the day and very early in the morning but because I had heard my friend talking about her time of reading, I also wanted her style. It didn’t work o. It only worked during the periods of exam and test (with a lot of struggle). Ask her, in 4, 5 or 6 hours I would sleep 30 minutes or more for 3 to 4 times. Do the math yourself, my mathematics dey shake!
Now, imagine I decided to bank solely on her style? Please, it’s important that you’re sincere to yourself. Because people burn mid-night candles in your school and they are hailed for that doesn’t mean you have to join them. If you have to join them be sure it’s working for you. Because your friend has a good relationship, she’s the Vice President of the Chapel, P.R.O for her department, runs her business and still on a second class upper doesn’t mean you can do the same. You might end up turning a 4 years course to a 5 or 6. Do the activities you can do. Better still, do the things God will have you do.
Also, in your sincerity, find your weakness(es) and intentionally work on them or work in such a way that they favour you. But I advise working on them. For instance, I can be slow at reading and this is why I didn’t use to feel secured studying with people. I feared I would be judged and I knew that assimilation would be difficult. On the contrary, my friends study fast. In school, what I did was to intentionally take myself away from my friends and intentionally go back to them for academic discussions, GISTS and many other things. Going back to them opened me up to areas I was lagging and made me a bit faster with reading my book. See, you can’t do life alone. Working with people is extremely important. However, be yourself!

4.  Strive for the best, more importantly strive for a good motive. 
   You want to come out top, but have you ever asked yourself why?  Like why do I want to be the best in my class? Why do I want to have a first class or a second class upper? It’s important that you know. Do I think I will shine when others light dim or will my light give other people the permission to shine theirs? If your motive is the former, maybe that’s why you’re not doing well. You’re probably striving with people that are meant to help you grow. Strive for the best but even more, let your motive be for the best of you and other people around you. We really do need each other.

5.  Confidence:
To say that I have words for this point is to tell a lie. One of the toughest thing I have ever done is to believe in myself; except on those times where I do not catch myself doing it. However, I’m growing. I have to. God has actually being showering his strength on me.
To kill fear, shyness or whatever feeling is synonymous to these venoms is by praying, practicing the task, confessing words that are consistent with the nature God has given to you and facing the fear. God has not given you the Spirit of fear. He has given you the spirit of love, of power and of a sound mind (2 Tim 1:7). It’s true.  

6.  It’s not that serious
Not everything in life is a first class, second class upper, second class lower... There is more to life than a 4, 5 or 6 years struggle. Dear friend, you will agree with me that; in most schools, only few people are seen as the smartest in the class right? But does it mean that the other people won’t amount to people successful in life? Does it even guarantee the success of the smartest in the room? It just opens up more chances for them.
There are many people who are doing very well and many who will do very well in life with coming out top in class. Ask Tony Elumelu, he graduated with a second class lower. I’m sure most people didn’t see the philanthropist coming. It’s fine if you’re at a point where it looks like you can’t get the top class. What’s not fine is to be lackadaisical about your future. This leads me to my next point;

7.  Trust God:
I believe in hard work. I believe in skills. Much more: is my  believe in the grace of God. The grace of God opens you up to a life of ease. You can testify that there are times you look back at how far you’ve come and you just know that it had to be God. There is no child of God that has not tasted of the Goodness of God. God holds  my hands. He covers my shame. He has a way of branding his children. If you decide to leave other points and focus on just this point, he will show you the other points and more to use.
Surrender all to your Jesus. Be ready to work with him. Daddy loves you and wants to hold your hands. Your academics is too too small. There is more he will do through you if you let him.
  



Comments

  1. Wow. This is really lovely. It spoke directly to me. I will keep on believing in myself and trusting God always. God bless you for this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!.This really is impacting. God bless you .Amen Amen Amen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CONFIDENCE

FORGIVEN